In many of my posts I speak about using what you have in the fridge. Groceries are expensive and it is very easy to waste food when you have a small household. I cook for two, my husband and I, and cook a lot.
There always seems to be a baked good on the counter or leftovers in the fridge. Although my husband gives a valiant effort in eating everything I make, most days it is just impossible.
So where I can, I attempt to reuse or repurpose food. Even if you do not have a small household, limiting waste is never a bad idea.
Since the holidays, I have had a brand new jug of eggnog just sitting in my fridge bugging me. Although eggnog is a holiday flavor, I still wanted to use the jug even after the holidays passed.
Everyone has started their New Year’s diet, so I figured provided a healthy (kind of) recipe would be ideal. This one is very simple as well, consider it a bonus. I say kind of healthy because I use eggnog in the place of milk, and eggnog has full fat.
This recipe is very versatile in that you can change out a lot of ingredients. For example, you can use a flavored yogurt instead of plain, pecans instead of almonds, and so on.
- 1/2 Cup of Oats
- 1 Tablespoon of Chai Seeds
- 1/2 Cup of Low Fat Yogurt
- 1 Tablespoon of Hemp Seeds
- 3/4 Cup of Eggnog, alcohol free
- 1/2 Teaspoon of Cinnamon, optional
- 1/4 Teaspoon of Nutmeg
- 1/4 Cup of Toasted Sliced Almonds, optional
- In a large bowl, combine the first seven ingredients. Mix until well combined.
- Spoon your mixed ingredients into two small mason jars.
- Tightly cover the jars with a lid, then place the jars in the fridge.
- Let the oats set up, in the fridge, over night.
- Before eating, top your oats with toasted almonds. You can also add additional things like cinnamon or fruit over the top.