Officially, it is the time of year for parties, potlucks, family gatherings, and anything in-between. Fall is the time of year that I love most, mainly because all of the festivities gives me an excuse to cook – as if I needed one. For most cooks, the love of cooking comes from sharing your finished dish with others.
But with all of the doing and making everyone gets a bit tired, which is where quick and easy recipes come into play. A home cook can never have too many delicious quick recipes, the kind you lean towards when in a pinch or too busy to really put work into a dish.
A homemade batch of cornbread can easily fill in the gaps for any potluck or gathering. For me, the problem is that making perfect cornbread is not something I have mastered – until I came up with this recipe.
There are many schools of thought on cornbread; some like is sweet, some like it course, some like it filled with things, etc. Personally, I love the sweet version that comes straight from a box. I grew up eating sweet skillet cornbread, so anything short of what I grew up with was was never good enough.
Until this recipe, I did not know out how to make sweet cornbread that stayed together when sliced. And because everyone has their own preference in cornbread, I wanted to include as much in one recipe as possible…creating the ultimate cornbread.
My version uses honey as one of the sweeteners along with fresh sweet corn on the cob stirred right in. To balance everything out, fresh jalapenos are added for a little heat. Finally, smoked cheddar cheese is grated over the top to add a final layer of umami. As the cornbread cooks, the cheese becomes bubbly and browns on the top of the bread.
The best part, the dish takes only 15-20 minutes to mix together and bake – perfect for anyone in a pinch or just plain overworked.
- 1 Stick of Unsalted Butter, Melted
- 1 Cup of Cornmeal
- 1 Cup of All Propose Flour
- 1 Egg
- 1/4 Cup of Honey
- 1/4 Cup of Sugar
- 1/2 Teaspoon of Salt
- 2/3 Cup of Milk
- 3 Teaspoons of Baking Powder
- 1 Jalapeno, seeded and diced
- 1 Corn on the Cob, kernels removed from the cob
- 4 Ounces of Smoked Mild Cheddar, grated
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Prepare a medium cast-iron skillet or 9x9 pan by greasing it.
- In a mixing bowl, stir together all of your ingredients except for your cheese. Mix until fully combined.
- Pour the batter into your prepared pan.
- Sprinkle the grated cheese over the top of your batter.
- Bake the cornbread, on the middle rack, for 15 minutes.
- Slice and serve warm.