As a death row inmate, my last meal would most certainly include my mom’s meatloaf sandwich, loaded fries, and those cheap gooey brownies you make from a box mix.
I know kind of morbid, but we have all contemplated it or discussed our last meal with our friends.
I am not afraid to admit (even though I can be a food snob at times) that I absolutely love those cheap and easy box mix brownies. You are lying to yourself if you do not agree. The reason is simple: they come out perfectly soft and chocolaty every single time.
So why not take oozy, fudgy brownies up a notch? This recipe came about rather seamlessly; in fact I had been thinking about creating the dessert for sometime. I purchased some churro marshmallows to snack on, and quite honestly they tasted horrible on their own. As to not waste them (or my money) I decided to repurpose them.
You can buy them here. You can also make your own by coating plain marshmallows in butter and a cinnamon sugar mixture.
This recipe is a take on those classic fudgy brownies, but with a graham crust, Mexican chocolate, and charred churro marshmallows on the top.
Mexican Chocolate & Churro Marshmallow S’more Brownies
- 1 Cup of Graham Flour
- 1/4 Cup of AP Flour
- 2 Tablespoons of Brown Sugar
- 1/2 Teaspoon of Baking Powder
- 1/4 Teaspoon of Baking Soda
- 1/2 Teaspoon of Salt
- 1/4 Teaspoon of Cinnamon
- 6 Tablespoons of Butter, softened
- 2 Tablespoons of Molasses
- 2 Tablespoons of Milk
- 1 Teaspoon of Vanilla Extract
- Prepare a 9 inch square baking pan by lining it with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In your stand mixer, cream the butter and sugar together.
- While that mixes, combine your dry ingredients into a small bowl. Mix together.
- Slowly mix in your dry mix, alternating with the remaining wet ingredients. Mix until all of the ingredients are fully combined.
- Press down mixture into your prepared baking dish to create one even layer of crust.
- Bake for 10 minutes, then remove from oven and set aside.
- 1 Bag of Churro Marshmallows, cut in half length wise
- 1 Cup of Sugar
- 2.7 Ounces of Mexican Chocolate, Grated
- 1 Tablespoon of Cocoa Powder
- 2 Eggs
- 1 Cup of Vegetable Oil
- 1/2 Cup of AP Flour
- In a stand mixer, combine flour, sugar, cocoa powder, and Mexican chocolate. Mix to combine.
- Slowly add in each egg, mixing until fully combined.
- Last mix in your vegetable oil.
- Pour over graham crust. Bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 25 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Once baked, remove from oven and place marshmallows on the top of the brownies in a single layer, cinnamon side down. You want the cut side to be facing up. The residual heat from baking will cause the marshmallows to stick.
- Once the brownies have cooled and before serving, torch the marshmallow top with a baking torch. If you do not have one you can use your oven on broil.
- Slice and serve.